January 18, 2010

Turbulent Insertion

Establishing an orbit is not as easy as it sounds. After some rapid jockeying, I managed to hit that magic distance where stability exists. Pulling around the back side of the Eleven, I scanned toward the edge of the nucleus just in time to catch he wavefront as it began passing the limb. That's when I discovered why I had the extra jockey work to do.

De-orbited and pushed ahead of the wavefront, one of the Electrons that had been on the opposite side of the impact rounded the corner and smacked headlong into the wavefront. Getting the photon knocked out of you generally wrecks your potential and squashes your orbit. Feeling the effects of all this, the offending Electron plummeted toward the Nucleus, but managed to miss the edge and find a new orbit.

In the confusion that ensued as the wavefront passed, I paired up with an Electron from a lower orbit that had been kicked up from below. The small glitch in my orbit caused by the paring, along with the double-shield effect of our combined charge, was just strong enough to prevent the wavefront from disturbing either of us too greatly.

No comments: