January 17, 2010

Standard Orbit, Please.

The wavefront continued to accelerate me toward the Electron cloud that engulfed the nucleus of the Eleven. I began to be pulled toward that dangerous pile of protons while being buffeted by the Electrons that remained in the cloud. I twiddled my spin to ease the approach into the cloud. The push-back from the Electrons was slowing me down, and that meant that the wavefront would overtake me soon.

I passed through the outer orbital layer easily, since it's Electrons were on the other side of the Eleven. When one comes back around, it is in for a surprise. I, on the other hand, had spotted an inattentive, lightly spinning, Electron ahead. Recalling my days on the double Seven, I flipped my spin until I had dialed in on a direct hit.

If I had been going photon fast, I might have passed right through my target, but in this case, there was plenty of repulsion to affect us both. I slowed down and the target speed increased as we equalized. By the time it was over, the target was too far to be in orbit anymore, and I had slowed down just enough to catch an outside orbit. Barely. I hope the target enjoys the view from out there.

No comments: