November 22, 2009

Hopping

When the going gets tough, the tough go flipping. I am sure that the ejectee that I traded places with is having a much better time than I am, that is, if they even know that they are having a time at all. I've been so interested in everything around me that I've not talked to another electron in quite a while. Then again, mostly they just want to pair up and go fast.

I have more time to reflect while I plot my path from place to place along this extraordinarily long chain of ringlets. The biggest challenge is getting across the linking Eights from ringlet to ringlet. I've also found it slightly easier to move around the ring by taking the route that is all Sixes, and avoiding the Eight in the ring altogether. It's bad enough that I have to orbit an Eight in between each ring, so avoiding the extra Eight makes travelling just a bit quicker.

I did survey one complete ring, and realized that I had been neglecting the extra Ones that always counterbalance the Eight-One lumps that hang off of each Six. Including one of the linking Eights as a member of this unit, there are total of 86 Protons, and almost as many neutrons. If I was scanning correctly, I though that one of the Sixes I swept was one Neutron larger than the rest, but after counting several doublings of these units already, I'm not turning around to investigate it. Maybe on the return trip.

No comments: