June 23, 2010

Shifting Frequency and Motive

Lost in my own plans, I had not realized that the pairs were continuing to drift farther away. When their signal was obliterated by a network burst, the reliability level of the channel at the current distance was logged as unreliable and the retreat process was automatic. The pairs shifted directions on their borrowed Shorties as I issued a change of channel tap.

Shifting in to a reliable channel with good bandwidth, I welcomed each pair as they joined. I extended the return order to further improve bandwidth, and opened up a strategy session. The first item up for discussion was the current arrangement. Lucky for me, Electrons are not too picky, and re-arranging the A and B pairs into mixed pairs was not something that they wished to undo. I upped the ante, letting them know about the chatty slide-talker that had caught my attention. The question was: which pair would be the one to take on their first charge as I had done with them? The other team would assist with any difficulties that may arise with the training of the new pair.

I had insisted on two pair from the Canopy, so that I could break any tie that might exist in a group decision. In each subsequent instance of decision making, I have been impressed with their ability to come to a decision, and had yet to impose my will other than the original cross-mixing to improve performance. The arbitration mechanism they employed this time was fairly simple: whichever pair was closer to the chatty slide-talker was going to be the primary.

No comments: